Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Veggie Box Tuesday!

I love Tuesdays! Every Tuesday I get a delivery from my CSA in Capay Valley (1 hour north of San Francisco). It's called Farm Fresh to You. CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. It is a great way to get fresh, organic food and know exactly where your produce is coming from. I have a hard time going to the farmer's market on Saturdays; I would much rather get in a workout with a girl friend and grab brunch after than run errands! I love getting a delivery to my building during the beginning part of the week. I plan ahead by coming straight home from work and getting right to washing and prepping all my veggies so they are ready to utilize for meals throughout the week.


What is great about Farm Fresh to You is that you have an account online and can set all kinds of produce preferences. You also know what you are going to be receiving the Friday before your delivery. I don't care for getting lettuces, so instead of lettuce my box came with BEETS! Are those not the most beautiful beets ever? I have never seen such a gorgeous spiral of colors in a beet before! The CSA beets barely needed to be peeled, the skin was super thin. I sliced them up in thin half-moons and roasted them in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper at 450F for about 20-25 minutes. They came out yummy and caramelized. This is my favorite way to cook beets thus far. I have tried roasting them in foil, unpeeled and then rubbing the skins off later. Way too time consuming! I highly recommend the thinly sliced roasting as it significantly cuts down on cooking time -- which is great for a weeknight meal.


After roasting the beets I made a yummy beet salad for dinner and saved the rest for a healthy lunch! I love beets with oranges, goat cheese, fennel, walnuts, you name it! What are your favorite beet recipes?

2 comments:

  1. yum!!! i absolutely love beets and beet salads! i didn't know you had your veggies delivered to your apt. that's so great. although, i do personally love the experience of going to farmer's market. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, that beet salad looks mighty tasty.

    ReplyDelete